Keeping you up to date with our ever changing industry.

Investee Company News

KCM relocates 402 Chingola squatters

Vedanta Resources Plc, owners Konkola Copper Mines, a Zambian unit, has asked over 400 squatters living on a mine land and has disbursed K588, 000 to those farming in the same area earmarked for mine expansion.

The 402 residents who have encroached in Chabanyama area in Chingola, one of its mining areas, have set up settlements on the mine land which the miner has set up as a dumping site in its continued expansion programme.

Company spokesperson, Shapi Shachinda, concerned with the encroachments, urged residents around mining areas to avoid conducting any activity on mining land as this is against mining regulations. The mining company has since intensified patrols to ensure that no fresh encroachment occurs, the spokesperson said in a statement to the Mining news Zambia.

And the company has provided K588, 000 in compensation to squatters in Chabanyama who are carrying out farming activities as a support to the residents whose farming activities have been affected by the company’s decision to relocate them from the mining land which is now a dump site company’.

Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Investment Holdings (ZCCM IH owns 20.6 percent of KCM and the other 79.4 percent is owned by Vedanta Resources. KCM is one of Zambia’s major integrated copper producing companies. It is primarily engaged in the exploration for, mining, production and sale of copper and copper by-products.

KCM aims to be a world class Copper Mining and Metals company and has therefore adopted a growth and efficiency strategy. Since 2008, over $2.5bn has been invested to upgrade equipment, build new facilities and expand capacity. These investments have increased reserves & resources and increased the life of the mines.

KCM currently produces 2 million tons of copper ore per year. The company’s US$1 billion Konkola Deep Mining Project (KMDP) will expand its capacity to 6 million tons of ore per year when completed by 2016.

Source: Mining News Zambia

Previous ArticleNext Article