REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI) FOR A CONSULTANT TO CONDUCT A FEASIBILITY STUDY INTO SETTING UP A PRECIOUS METALS PLANT
ZCCM Investments Holdings Plc (ZCCM-IH) is an investments holding company which has a majority of its investments held in the copper mining sector of Zambia. ZCCM-IH’s majority shareholders are the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) with 60.3%, Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) with 17.3% shareholding, National Pensions Scheme Authority (NAPSA) with 15% and other shareholders with 7.4%.
The company has a primary listing on the Lusaka Stock Exchange and secondary listings on the New York Stock Exchange, Paris Euronext (Euronext) and London Stock Exchanges.
ZCCM-IH has been mandated by the GRZ to spearhead the development of the gold sector in Zambia. This will be achieved in four (4) ways:
- ZCCM-IH opening up and operating its own gold mines under the dedicated subsidiary company, Zambia Gold Company (ZGC);
- ZCCM-IH entering into joint venture partnerships for mining and processing of gold;
- Formalization of the informal Artisanal and Small Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) sector, including purchases from the ASGM sector; and
- Re-establishment of a local Precious Metals Plant (PMP) to refine the gold and associated Precious Metals (PMs).
2.0 PROJECT RATIONALE
The Feasibility Study (FS) that ZCCM-IH plans to undertake is one that focuses on the re-establishment of a local PMP, whose principal feed is Anode Slimes from the Electro-Refineries (ERs) in the country. The PMP should, however, also make a provision for processing of other sources of gold, which includes:
- ZGC Gold production;
- Production from joint venture operations;
- Third party producers, including the ASGM sector; and
- Dore anode produced by Kansanshi Mine plc (KMP), which is currently refined abroad.
The Zambian copper mining industry produces anode slimes (slimes) from the refining of Smelter anodes. These slimes were previously processed within the country from 1977 to 2004 at the Ndola Copper Refinery – Precious Metals Plant (NCR – PMP).
Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines Ltd. (ZCCM Limited) operated the NCR – PMP from 1982 to 2000, when it was privatized and ownership passed to Minerva (Zambia) Limited, a subsidiary of the Binani group. Minerva operated the NCR – PMP from 2000 until 2004, when the plant was shut down.
Subsequent to that, the slimes and other semi-processed precious metals such as the Dore anode produced by KMP have been shipped offshore for processing into final products.
The NCR – PMP produced the following products:
- Gold, in bullion form;
- Silver, in bullion form;
- Platinum, Palladium and other PGMs such as rhodium, “platinum salts” form for further processing offshore;
- Selenium, in flake form; and
- Copper, in copper sulphate form, which was sent to the Leach plants for electro winning.
ZCCM-IH now invites eligible firms to indicate their interest in providing the above services. Interested firms must provide information to demonstrate that they are qualified to perform the services (brochures, description of similar assignments, experience in similar conditions etc.).
Interested firms may obtain further information at the address below during office hours between 08:00 – 13:00 hours and between 14:00 – 17:00 hours local time from Monday to Friday.
A firm will be selected using the Quality and Cost Based Selection (QCBS) method. Interested firms must submit one (01) original and three (03) hard copies of the Expression of Interest to the address below not later than Tuesday, 10th November 2020.
ZCCM Investments Holdings Plc
ZCCM-IH Office Park
Stand No. 16806, Alick Nkhata Road
Mass Media Complex Area
P.O. Box 30048
Download full document here: